Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Kill liberty for Safety?

The topic which I intend to write my optional editorial paper on is gun rights.  I feel that in the second amendment of the United States Constitution when it states: “the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed” it means that citizens have the privilege to own firearms.  I obviously don’t feel that they should have massive weapons with the ability to kill hundreds to thousands of individuals, but I certainly think that means of defense should be readily available to people.  This subject will have great amounts of information which I will be able to research if I need to.  I feel that this will be an excellent subject to write on, for not only will there be a fruitful search online if needed, but the Constitution supports me.  Of course, others find different interpretations of the Constitution in order to limit gun availability.  I understand that they do this in an attempt to limit the amount of firearms available to criminals, but will this really help?  I don’t believe so, because thinking logically upon it, someone who already has the intention to disobey the law by killing someone else will not simply say “Oh, there’s a law saying I need to turn in my gun… I’ll go do that”.  Instead of depriving criminals of weapons, this idea will instead take away firearms from law-abiding citizens.  Along with this, many of the guns which criminals possess are not registered, so the government attempting to obtain them through a law alone will be fruitless.  These are a few of the main points which I shall use in my optional editorial.  I will not do an enormous amount of research to the point where the assignment becomes a research paper, but I will instead find the facts that I may have forgotten in order to reinforce and strengthen the point which I am standing for.  My passion for liberty here in this wonderful country will drive my paper along.  As Benjamin Franklin once said “They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” 











1 comment:

  1. This is a very kairotic topic these days. It's hot in politics. It will be interesting to see which arguments you end up including!

    ReplyDelete