Friday, February 13, 2015

The conflict of justice and mercy

The article that I found the most persuasive and the most thought provoking was the Osama Bin Laden piece.  For this reason, I will be writing my rhetorical analysis paper on it.  While reading it, I found myself to be deeply conflicted, for while I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (so I have mercy-oriented morals), I am also a Patriot, and so I found that justice had been done in Osama’s death. 
            Overall, I still believe that the death of Osama Bin Laden was a completely necessary occurrence, but I do agree with the writer in the sense that we shouldn't celebrate death.  Part of me does desire to rejoice in his destruction, but I also know that I need to remember that he is still a child of God (despite making horrible choices and being a terrible person…).  These are the feelings which will make this piece enjoyable to analyze, for it will be forcing two of my passions to combat each other:  my deep love for the justice of America, and my desires to continually be like Christ.

            I feel like as I work on this paper that I will be able to find a good amount of weak points in his argument, as well as find areas where his own words can be used against him.  It seems like I will have an enjoyable time with this assignment, and I look forward to trying out different methods for analyzing this piece. 

No comments:

Post a Comment